support for directx 10/11 features

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Hi,

I just discovered ANX; I've been getting frustrated with lack of support for certain DX 10+ features in XNA such a texture arrays so this project looks ideal given that my codebase is currently XNA 4.0. Also, multi-threaded rendering would be useful to me. My question is, given that you are attempting to emulate the XNA APIs, how do you (or do you at all?) expose these additional features? If they are not supported directly, is the recommendation simply to drop down to using SharpDX calls? If the latter, is it straight-forward to use both levels simultaneously - to make this concrete, consider these two specific cases.

Thanks,

Jason

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Yes, we want to support additional features of DirectX 10, 11 and 11.1, but currently the focus is to become 100% XNA compatible and feature complete.

After that we plan to use compiler directives ("XNAEXT") to enable the extended feature-set. Currently we are using this only for the "Motion Sensing Device" support (currently Kinect only, maybe WiiMote and Move later). Some parts (geometry and compute shaders e.g.) are not very diffcult to implement, maybe some other things are harder.

If you have specific features that you need/want please feel free to open a feature request in the issue tracker or a source patch if you are able to implement it yourself.

Thank you for your interest in our project.