Content Pipeline - Walkthrough

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Hello,

A couple of years ago, I had a look at XNA and thought this was some Kind of a break through. No more C++ hassling with DirectX. Yeah!

However... now that I wanted to dive into game development again, I noticed that XNA has been abandoned by Microsoft. While Projects such as SharpDX & Co are really nice, I stumbled accross ANX and thought: This is ingenious!

Problem is: This Project seems to be abandoned as well. Also there is really documentation missing about core concepts such as the Content Pipeline and the corresponding Compiler (and how to use it).

It is not clear how the Content Projects work, how it uses folders exactly and what's even more confusing: The UI part crashed all the time. Also, even though I am pretty sure that I configured everything correctly, I cannot Access resources and constantly get FileNotFoundExceptions.

Funny thing: If I manage to have the UI tool generate an XML Project file, I noticed that the Folder names are broken (there's always the first character missing..).

So there are two ways for me now:
Either, I drop the idea of working with ANX or
I find myself another Framework.

Bad thing is... that I really really don't want to start with OpenGL. And I also don't want to go back to C++ again...
Developer
Jan 1, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2015 at 10:52 PM
It actually was very silent in this project for a long time, but it will get traction again as I have a lot of things in the pipeline that I want to add to ANX.

For the exceptions and the crashing of the UI, could you create an issue and attach a sample project? That would be very helpful.
The same thing also with the generated XML project file and just to be sure, an explanation with the important steps would be nice.
So there are two ways for me now:
Either, I drop the idea of working with ANX or
I find myself another Framework.
MonoGame is similiar to ANX, if you haven't looked into it yet, might be worth a try.
It also depends on what you want to do, maybe ANX is enough for it, hard to say.
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:32 AM
I will just pop in to continue to motivate development and to also prove the project isn't dead. I've long had this replacement for XNA on my radar and have been just waiting for the right time to pounce and it seems like it is approaching. Many of us who used XNA had to get over the sour taste of MS abandoning it. MS have done a lot of exciting things since and many of us have been watching to see what tools they offer for indie devs on the Xbox One and stuff. But bottom line MS will always eventually need to cut off any library it creates. So to get upset at them is meaningless. And now looking at what it has birthed, ANX. We've got something as exciting as XNA but with legs we control. I've been playing with Unity, Proj. Spark, Kodu other custom game engines but ultimately keep circling back to this project as my base. It basically gives you the starting point for building your world so you can just get to the nuts and bolts.

I do recommend learning XNA first while waiting on some tutorials here. I will try to write some in next few months as well just to keep the head guy focused on what we need the most his vision for the whole thing. But if you spend a day or 2 learning XNA then some of the assumptions like the content pipeline will start to make more sense. I too need to get back in and test out the state of everything. I hope the lead dev is ready for heavy involvement me coming asap.