Quick Gamepad Question

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Much like XNA, does ANX only support the 360 gamepad through the gamepad class?  Or is it a wrapper for some DirectInput stuff?

I'm only asking because it would be amazing if there was, say, a different constructor to initialize a gamepad or gamepadstate so that it can use controllers other than the 360 one.  It would help keep code more clean as well, if you didn't have to go and change your 360 gamepad stuff to more messy global gamepad stuff.

Just wondering.

Thanks,
electroflame

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM

ANX is using a addin system which is capable of change the way input (and graphics, sound, media and storage) is supported. One way is the XInput way which is used by XNA for input, but another one is DirectInput or any other input handling api you want. Just swap the addin.

May 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sweet, thanks.  Are some of these addins pre-made, or are you guys more trying to encourage users to create their own addins?

May 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Currently there is support for the standard Xbox360 Gamepad like in XNA. Support for different gamepad types is currently not in our focus since we're working on the core features and on platform support. This doesn't mean that we won't implement them sometime in the future but the cool thing about the Addin-System is that you don't have to wait for us. If you need something different, simply write your own Addin :). If you like you can also contribute to the project by creating these Addins. It's your choice.

May 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Alright, thanks for clarifying.  When I go to do the PC version of my game, I'll look into creating an Addin for DirectInput or something similar.

Thanks for your help!