Trouble running the samples

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Edited Oct 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I had quite some trouble getting the samples to work. I thought you might want to hear about that, maybe to improve the experience in future versions, so here is what I ended up doing to make them work.

When I started any sample project, Primitives.exe for instance, nothing happened except the creation of a log.txt file along with an error message inside.

I checked out the source at revision 18526 and followed How to build the source version of the ANX.Framework. I ran MakeAnxFramework.cmd without any parameters and everything was built successfully.

I then started "bin\samples\Release\Primitives.exe" and many other samples but nothing seemed to work:

Error: Couldn't create instance of creator 'ANX.SoundSystem.OpenAL.Creator'
cause OpenAL is not installed and the dll's couldn't be found in the output path, too!
Make sure the OpenAL32.dll and the wrap_oal.dll files are in the output folder.
You can find them in the lib folder of the ANX.Framework or download and run the installer from
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip

I copied both files to the output directory and started Primitives.exe again. This time log.txt contains:

Error: couldn't create instance of creator 'ANX.SoundSystem.OpenAL.Creator'.
Exception: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B) at ANX.Framework.NonXNA.AddIn.CreateInstanceIfPossible()

I then started to delete various dll's by flipping a coin what could cause the problem. I ended up deleting these dll's until the samples finally worked:

• ANX.InputSystem.Recording.dll
  • ANX.RenderSystem.GL3.dll

With either of these dll's no window appeared and no error message was written in log.txt as well, except the "couldn't create instance of creator ANX.SoundSystem.OpenAL.Creator" one.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thank you for that feedback.

We're aware of this trouble. We are working on this and in the next binary release the samples will be included in the installer package (with a nice sample browser). To make this happen we have to address the issues with the sample building. See [workitem:536] for further information.