Change RenderSystem

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I have been playing with your project for awhile now.  Let me first say, it's amazing.  I absolutely love it.  I've been really frustrated by the lack of DirectX 11 support in Xna.  That being said, I know your default RenderSystem is DirectX 10 based.  How do I make it so my own game defaults to 11.  I see that you guys have one implemented, but I can't figure out how to make it the default.  Any help would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I'm glad that you like our work :-)

You have different options to change the RenderSystem. Let me say first, that ANX uses all AddIns (RenderSystem, SoundSystem, InputSystem) which are located in the executing Directory. You don't have to make a reference to a AddIn to use it.

To use a specified AddIn you are able to:

- only copy the one AddIn to the executing Directory

- use SetPreferredSystem of the AddInSystemFactory to specify the preferred AddIn (see Program.cs of sample SimpleSprite as example)

- use a AddIn selection window as done in sample WindowsGame

I'm very interested in people who already have experience with the DX10 RenderSystem and now trying the DX11 one. If you find differences please let me know, I will change that asap...

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I have been modifying your samples in a attempt to use DirectX 11 or OpenGL 3.  Both of these cases seem to throw an exception, but DirectX 10 works fine.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Upon doing more research and experimenting with OpenGL, it turns out my computer's graphics card supports neither DirectX 11 or OpenGL 3.  I will try the code on my other computer when I get a chance.  It has a beefer card that can handle both of those.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

After trying different rendering systems on my home computer, DirectX 11 was not functional, and OpenGL, although functional, did not produce the expected results.