Content Pipeline Status

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Last time I checked out ANX the content pipeline required certain things to be built with XNA.  As this solution is not ideal I was wondering what the current content pipeline looked like and if supported pipeline pre processors and extensions.  I Started work on an XNA game engine and many parts of it rely on manipulating models and textures in the xna pipeline to simplify many parts of the engine core.

Regardless of my issue I absolutely love where ANX is moving and it is a great project.

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Currently there are two content pipeline path's:
  1. Use the XNA content pipeline - ANX is able to read XNB files produced by the XNA content pipeline with all types provided by XNA. If you have your own readers you have to provide a ANX version of it. Processors, Writers and importers don't need any change. For effects there's some special importer and processor because we need to compile the shaders with another fxc compiler.
  2. Use the ANX content pipeline - ANX extended the XNB file specification without breaking XNA compatibility. If XNA tries to load a ANX-XNB there's a error message. We currently are able to "compile" effects (HLSL, GLSL, multi-format to come), textures (no DDS compression currently) and sprite fonts (again no DDS). You're able to extend the ANX content pipeline the same way as the XNA version. You have to translate the importers, processors, writers and readers to ANX (mostly by changing the namespaces).
To "compile" the content we have two tools: a gui tool (ContentCompiler 3) and a command line tool (ContentBuilder).

If someone want's to provide additional readers, importers, processors or writers: YOU ARE WELCOME :-)
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM
You guys are awesome, I will assume I need to download the source and build it. I cannot wait to test out the game Engine I was working on in XNA again. Is there any idea on how long until the DDS compression will be available. My textures are 4mb tiff files :) those take up some space.

Either way cannot wait to try this now, it has come along way since last time I have checked it, and the extensions to the XNB specification are great as well I was reading about some of them.

EDIT

I see there is a new update from today, I just downloaded that and I am testing with that version.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I provided a new installer package some hours ago which is the binary version of the latest sources.

The DDS compression currently doesn't have a high priority because we have a working texture support. For real games this is needed of course... If someone needs it, it will be priorized higher... It is not a big deal to implement it, some hours of coding and testing I think...
Feb 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I tried to use the update tool and it had an issue, I guess I will have to do it by hand.

Right now DDS is not that important to me due to the fact that I am writing engine code VS game logic, but soon the DDS compression will be important to me, I will put in a formal request when I need it.